GRDSCH630 B Handouts
GRDSCH 630 B -- Active Learning for Engineering Education -- Spring 2002
Note: The following list will be regularly updated, as material
- Week 1: Handouts taken from The Course Syllabus: A
Learning-Centered Approach, Judith Brunert, Anker Publishing Company,
Inc., Bolton MA, 1997, p. 24, and from the Goals & Objectives handout from
GRDSCH 620, Teaching Mentorship Seminar, Winter 2002
- Week 2: Handouts included two listings of ABET criteria (one student
focused, one faculty focused), "Information Gathering: A Critical Step for
Quality in the Design Process," Karen M. Bursic and Cynthia J. Atman,
QMJ, 97(4), pp. 60-74, and "Information Gathering Activity:
Teacher's Guide," from CELT, July 2001. A typed version of Cindy Atman's
guide to the reading is here.
- Week 3: Learning style histograms,
instructor's faculty questions, sample
answers of faculty questions.
- Week 4: Most of the handouts are listed in the class schedule. We were also given a handout by
Angela Linse with data supporting the use of interactive learning
strategies over traditional methods. The complete text of the paper can be
- Week 5: 1) Introduction to the Catalyst website, 2) overview of
Catalyst tools with goals and suggested uses.
- Week 6: One page handout from Wayne Jacobson: Quotes on learning,
comments from students and professors about each other.
- Week 7: First two pages of linked reading from class schedule, Basic
Elements of Cooperative Learning, samples of peer review handouts and a
syllabus from Cell Biology, Prof. Robin Wright.
This page is maintained by Rebecca Bates.
Last updated on 24 April 02.
Back to GRDSCH 630 B Course Information Page